Friday, April 27, 2012

Getting a good video card for my dell?

I'm buying a Dell XPS M1210 and as I'm costumizing it right now I'm wondering if the 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go is worth the extra $125? I could get the Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 but then extra money for the upgrade doesn't seem bad|||I would go with the Nvidia GeForce Go if you want to be able to run Windows Vista. Also, a discrete grpahics card, like the GeForce Go, will free up system memory for the operating system and applications to use. Integrated graphics will reserve a certain amount of system memory (depending on how much you have installed) up to 256MB. Vista will run with integrated graphics, but not all features will install. How much system memory are you having installed,as this will make a big difference in performance, whether you run XP or Vista. I think 1GB should be the minimum, 2GB if you intend to run Vista.|||I use a geforce fx 6500 card, it's a bit dated now but as I don't play games on my pc, it work fine for what I need it for, If you don't play games on your pc there's really no point in spending loads on a card.

If you do a lot of gaming then I'd recommend the latest Nvidia card anyday.|||It depends upon what you want out of your computer!



For games, streaming video and other graphic intensive applications you could certainly consider investment in a higher spec graphics card.



If you're going to not use the machine for graphics intensive applications then DO NOT waste your hard earned cash on upgrade of graphics adaptor but maybe consider other features - such as the memory on the machine. For most average users - more memory equates to better performance and you get a better return on investment (in performance terms) by boosting memory than getting a faster processor due to the fact that the faster the processor the more time the processor spends idle since the bit of the computer that takes information to/from the processor will ALWAYS run at one speed!

No comments:

Post a Comment