Sunday, May 6, 2012

Good video card for HTPC streaming large .MKV files?

Started putting together a HTPC rig and while I am able to stream most files without issue from my Server, once I start playing large .mkv files which are blu ray quality, usually the movie will play only for a few seconds but then will ultimately crash VLC, or XBMC.



Here is my setup:



OS: Ubuntu 10.04



Processor: AMD 1055T 2.8 GHz (6 core)

RAM: 8 GB DDR3 1333

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P

Onboard Video: Radeon 3000



Video Player being used - VLC and XBMC



Ive installed the proprietary ATI drivers and for the few seconds the large (8GB+) look great when they play. I don't think the processor or RAM is the issue as the are more then enough for a HTPC rig.



From what Ive been reading on the net, nvidia is the best when it come to linux and I dont mind getting a new card, but would like to know from others out there what nvidia card I should get as I dont want to overspend for performance that wont be used, since I wont be doing any gaming, just streaming movies, internet, news websites.



TIA|||The GT 520 would be more than enough for you needs and that's about as inexpensive as it can get, you can get it for $20-$25 on http://www.newegg.com after rebate.

Here's the cheapest one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as…

No comments:

Post a Comment